Sharjah International Book Fair 29th Edition

My photo
Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
ExpoCenter 7th - 17th November, 2012. Hours | Saturday - Thursday: 10a.m. - 10p.m.; Friday: 4p.m - 10p.m.

Friday 18 November 2011

Day 2 « 10 Days in Sharjah

Trying to understand why it feels like I’ve been here for a looooong time. Only 2 days really.
Also trying to understand why I can’t seem to find a way to describe (in words) this outrageous experience. Which is kind of odd considering the theme of the Book Fair is “For Love Of The Written Word”. But, then, I was never a very good reporter. I get too lost in the moment to take notes or write down names…so what you are left with here is just little splashes of memory.

(This also explains why I haven’t started a blog until now).

So, I have decided…why strain myself looking for the perfect words when pictures can do most of the work on their own. I will be shifting into more of a photo-blog format for a bit…until, if, I can get my head together better, or find a flow, or well…you know.

We met the group of some of the artists that are here for the Muktatafaht (a Middle East Comics Anthology)…they are very nice and laid back and I’m glad they are here!

But, I do have to say that the highlight of Day 2 at the Sharjah Book Fair was the 100TPC open mic session in the evening. Totally mind blowing.

Thank you Marwa with the Arabic Book Club for bringing such a beautiful group together to share poetry in Arabic and English. Of course, I didn’t understand a word, but the passion was there, and the music…

…it was an amazing moment to be a part of.

Then the Indian drummers started pounding at the far end of the hall for the “inauguration” of the Indian Focus of the Book Fair this year.

Loud and wonderful drumming!

Another special moment… the assistant to the wife of his royal highness himself, Sultan bin Mohamed Al-Qasimi, invited a group of us “ladies” to the Sharjah Women’s Club, which was started by the wife of the Sultan to create a space for cultural programs (and some space for pampering as well), along the Arabian Sea.

We meet later today for that trip, so what can I say except I will be back.

(BTW…the food is just way too good and though some say“I may never be hungry again” because it is so great…I say I’m sure I will never be hungry again when I am forced to conrront what some consider food back home in the US. Sigh…)

Banana, Strawberry, and Mango Mocktail...yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment