Sharjah International Book Fair 29th Edition

My photo
Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
ExpoCenter 7th - 17th November, 2012. Hours | Saturday - Thursday: 10a.m. - 10p.m.; Friday: 4p.m - 10p.m.

Tuesday 15 November 2011

Everyday Adventure, @LisaDempster › Sharjah hurrah

I’ve been in Sharjah for just over 24 hours. Yesterday I was exhausted and today it’s like I’ve been here forever. Hurried notes:

  • Emirates is WIN. No other airline compares. Love those guys.
  • No matter how much one travels it is still possible to get emotional in airports. Yesterday I missed meeting my driver at the airport and had an emotional and frustrating time trying to find him. Information desk unhelpful, can’t use the telephones, wifi not working, etc etc. Yes I had a little teary – for about 30 seconds. Then I pulled myself together, got a black ice coffee with sugar syrup (the best way to drink coffee in hot countries!), and sorted myself out.
  • I caught a cab from the airport to the hotel yesterday which ended up being amazing. It was a ‘Ladies Taxi’ – driven by women, for women. Sure it’s a cultural thing here but I can see a service like that working in Australia also. My driver was a rad chick but one who had no idea where she was going! (It’s a Dubai-based service so Sharjah was confusing.) But that didn’t matter – she just hailed another taxi and demanded that he show us where to go. So I was actually in a taxi convoy…
  • My hotel this year is directly next door to the palm tree park that I love. Win.
  • The Sharjah International Book Fair Professional Program has been kind enough to include me in their conference. Meeting lots of amazing publishers and agents from around the world.
  • Adjusting to Sharjah time again, feeling things slow down, getting used to lateness, and trying to tap into my inner chilled out ladyself to cope with things not being on time. It’ll happen.

Big love! Watch the EWF blog for more on the Sharjah Book Fair…

No comments:

Post a Comment