Sharjah International Book Fair 29th Edition

My photo
Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
ExpoCenter 7th - 17th November, 2012. Hours | Saturday - Thursday: 10a.m. - 10p.m.; Friday: 4p.m - 10p.m.

Tuesday 22 November 2011

SHJIBF: Chetan Bhagat on emerging writers | Emerging Writers' Festival

Why do you want to write? It’s a difficult practise, it is not easy work. Don’t do it for the fame or glamour or money. I write because I am passionate about it, I am myself. People first have to find their own voice, and ask themselves why they write. It is an art form. Concentrate on writing first and then think to make it commercial after.

- Chetan Bhagat on writing

I was lucky enough to get two minutes (literally!) with popular Indian writer Chetan Bhagat yesterday. And when I say popular, I mean total celebrity. Chetan writes bestselling novels for young people and is a complete SUPERSTAR. Last night he filled Sharjah Book Fair’s biggest tent and was greeted like a rockstar by screaming fans. It was pretty awesome.

While I was waiting to meet him yesterday I eavesdropped on another interview he was doing, and they asked him the same question that I wanted to ask myself, namely, what advice would he give to emerging writers. I hope I’m not treading on any toes to post this here!

No comments:

Post a Comment