Sharjah International Book Fair

Last year I was disappointed that I wasn’t able to visit Sharjah Calligraphy Museum so it was high on my list of things to do while I was in town again. They have a modern exhibition on by Khalifa El Shimy. It’s gorgeous, and lovely to see an ancient script translated into contemporary art. I only wish there had been an artist statement or more information on the pictures to give some context about the work.

Sharjah International Book Fair

Sharjah International Book Fair

The Calligraphy Museum is lovely, with a borrowing library and light-filled lounge. Then we popped into the Sharjah Poetry Centre and got an impromptu tour by its director. They have a poetry reading night every Thursday in the library.

Sharjah International Book Fair

Sharjah International Book Fair