Sharjah International Book Fair 29th Edition

My photo
Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
ExpoCenter 7th - 17th November, 2012. Hours | Saturday - Thursday: 10a.m. - 10p.m.; Friday: 4p.m - 10p.m.

Saturday 26 November 2011

SHJIBF: Writing and isolation | Emerging Writers' Festival

I try to build my work on the title of the story. When I wrote this new work I had no idea of the outcome of the novel. The title was a kind of glittering title and as I always do, I locked the door, I isolated myself, in order to stay close to the characters of my story. I confined myself to my work, lived with the characters of my work, listening to them speaking.

- Sarah al Jawan, Emirati novellist

In another two sessions on the Arab novel at Sharjah Book Fair, two diverse novellists spoke about their need for isolation when working.

I have certain ways and manners in writing. I have set up a nice place in my house to write in, however, I never use this space. It is a space that people are always coming in to. When I write I feel like I need to be isolated from the world. I like to write in a corner at a hotel; some people might call it a luxurious writing experience because I’m in a hotel. But it is not the Four Seasons. I use my days to write. At night, I don’t feel relaxed.

- Dr Amir Tag al-Sir, Sudanese writer

No comments:

Post a Comment