Women have lived in masculine culture which is made my men. Traditionally, men drew the image of women and we have only seen ourselves through the eyes of man. So it was difficult to realise the experience of women, to have the language to explore it deeply. Therefore the language of women has been confiscated and there was no female rhetoric. I don’t write against men, or to confiscate the language or voices of me; but I write against male rhetoric.

- Alawiya Sobh (Lebanon) on writing from the female perspective.

One of my highlight’s of Sharjah International Book Fair (as well as the India focus!) has been hearing from so many diverse female writers speaking about their work.

To get a flavour of what the women at Sharjah Book Fair have been talking about, visit the Emerging Writers Blog: Writing women into history, Women who write, and Notes from the Orange Prize.