Sharjah International Book Fair 29th Edition

My photo
Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
ExpoCenter 7th - 17th November, 2012. Hours | Saturday - Thursday: 10a.m. - 10p.m.; Friday: 4p.m - 10p.m.

Wednesday 3 November 2010

Lisa Dempster › Universities of Sharjah

While I was here I was lucky enough to have a look around two different universities – American University Sharjah and Sharjah Fine Art College.

It might surprise you (as it did me) that the majority of schooling in UAE is in English, and I’m talking from primary right up to university level here. So hanging in the caff at AUS didn’t feel all that different from chillin’ at the (Melbourne) Uni Lounge back in the day…

Sharjah International Book Fair

Sharjah International Book Fair

Sharjah Fine Art Uni

My guide for Sharjah Fine Art Uni was my driver, Mohannad, and his brother, who works there. (Did I mention that I have a driver? And that he is ACE?)

Sharjah International Book Fair

Sharjah International Book Fair

American University Sharjah (AUS)

My guide for AUS was a totally spunky amazing 21yo old chick Amna, who blew me away with how cool and punk and smart she is. She talked a lot about what it’s like to be an individual in a collective culture and man, she totally rocks it, hijab and all. AND she can bench 40kgs – TOTAL SUPERSTAR.

No comments:

Post a Comment