Sharjah International Book Fair 29th Edition

My photo
Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
ExpoCenter 7th - 17th November, 2012. Hours | Saturday - Thursday: 10a.m. - 10p.m.; Friday: 4p.m - 10p.m.

Wednesday 23 November 2011

Day 8 « 10 Days in Sharjah

No time for major entry today…off to (more) museums, souq, and hopefully to Dubai to stare at the tallest building in the world.

Great day with Ahmed who gave us a personal tour of the Islamic Civilization Museum.(I am a museum junkie, I can spend all day in a museum).

Then he took us to a great local Lebanese restaurant for dinner where we had a ridiculous amount of food for a ridiculous $30.

(I highly recommend the falafel arabic, moist and perfectly grilled).

Please check my Facebook album for many photos…still trying to upload, share, etc. to various locations…:)

Also, last night I sat in on an Arabic women poetry reading…I had my own personal translator whispering in my ear. It was bizarre. Very passionate readers…lots of words, lots of “country” and more men in the room than women.

Quite interesting.

I am compiling a collage poem from the poetry fragments whispered in my ear by the lovely
Joyce Mouaead, Official Book Fair Interpreter (Wish I had taken her picture).

Here is a unedited sample so far…

The Poets

Maryam AP Nakbi
Mahra Mohamad Bani Yas
Bardis Fuson Khalifa

Arabs be proud
Protect your country
from those who will do harm

Sing of country

You are like flowers
and live in a unique world

One voice
One voice

An emergency

You don’t take into consideration
I am living in this country
Feeling sorrow

I have an emergency
Urging me
To leave

Paris is like magic

They forget
They forget

They think that the snow
Will give me feelings
I don’t have here

I was in my office and I heard a noise

My father died
My father died

Sadness and determination
Like a crying baby

But also like sunshine

My country
My country

No one will be like him

I ask for the pen to write
Express my feelings
This pen started writing

Times are getting more difficult

I am sick
I am sick

Only God can help me

A mermaid that can fly
Spreads her wings

Poetry is a gift

No comments:

Post a Comment